Course fee: R300
Home Management and Hospitality
Cost to Fisantekraal Centre for Development : R6000 to train one person
Duration: 7 weeks (08h30 to 16h30 Mondays to Fridays)
FCDâ€™s Hospitality Basics course is a foundational programme. Learners can choose to commence training at FCD by completing the Hospitality Readiness or a Retail Job Readiness Programmes before qualifying to participate in one of our more advanced programmes.
This course equips people for aÂ career in the hospitality industry working in housekeeping, food preparation and food service
Our Programme comprises eight components with the following outcomes:
- Ability to communicate in English (reading and writing)
- Willingness to complete practical training at a partner establishment
- Life skills andÂ discipleship:Â A holistic approach to equipping participants for the workplace through emotional, social, economic and spiritual development; undertaking a journey of self-discovery to build self-esteem, improve relationships and create awareness of rights and responsibilities at home, work and in the community. Job searching, work ethics, workplace rights and responsibilities and finally personal finance form part of the building blocks of the life skills programme.
- Customer Service:Â Effective communication with customers, dealing with difficult customers, teamwork, maintaining a positive attitude and telephone etiquette.
- Safety in the workplace:Â Basic first aid, the first aid kit, using a fire extinguisher, general maintenance, DB board, changing a globe
- Cleaning skills:â€¯Using a cleaning caddy; Correct use of various cleaning products; cleaning in the kitchen and other areas inside and outside of the house; deep cleaning; windows; planning your work; servicing guest amenities; order taking
- Laundry skills:â€¯Laundering clothing, fragile fabrics and linen. Removing stains. Using detergents. Washing machines tumble dryers and irons. Reading labels.
- Kitchen skills:â€¯Kitchen hygiene, organizing kitchens, replacing black bins, packing the dishwasher, fridge storage, food safety, freezer defrosting, cleaning the oven and microwave using electrical appliances, setting a table, cutting flowers
- Food preparation skills:Â food hygiene, cooking and baking terms, measuring ingredients, care of equipment, basic vegetable and fruit preparation, preparing a balanced meal
- Front of House skills:Â Â Customer service inÂ restaurant ,Â coffee shop or other food establishments, serving customers, taking food and drink orders, explaining menus and keeping tables and dining area clean and set for new diners.
- Practical work experience:Â 8Â days of supervised practical experience to demonstrate that competency has been achieved in all key areas.